Friday, September 9, 2011

Yeasted Apricot Almond Tart


As we begin our shift into fall, I somehow managed to score some end-of-the-season apricots last week and have baked them into this yeasted tart. It makes for a great brunch offering or afternoon cake with exactly the right amount of yeast, butter, vanilla, sugar, salt and of course blessed fruit. As the weeks go by, you can substitute the last of the peaches, plums or pears.

If you fear working with yeast, this may be the recipe for you. The dough comes together very quickly and without any scary temperature testing or guessing. Just combine all the ingredients and about 3 minutes later you’re done. Give it two hours to rise, layer some fruit, garnish and give it another 30 minutes rest. Bake it and there you have it: a deliciously fresh little tart that will leave you ever so grateful for the wonders of yeast.

Bench notes:
- This dough is very wet and sticky. If you have a pastry scraper, use it to scrape the dough into the prepared pan. Or a rubber spatula will work just fine.
- Adjust the sugar you sprinkle on top of the tart according to the fruit you use. Tart fruit like plums will require more, about 1/4 cup.
- When yeast dough is set aside to rise, set a timer. One sign of over-proofing is when you press the dough down after the first rising, the gases discharged will have a strong smell of alcohol.


Yeasted Apricot Almond Tart
adapted with some modification from Ripe for Dessert by David Lebovitz
Serves 8

3 T whole milk
2 t dry yeast (not instant)
1/4 C sugar
2 eggs @ room temperature
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
3/4 t salt
3 oz butter @ room temperature and cut into 1/2” pieces
8 to 10 apricots, pitted and cut into quarters
3 – 4 T sugar
1/4 C sliced almonds

Generously butter a 9 1/2” springform pan.

Stir together the milk and the yeast in a mixer bowl and then combine with 1/4 cup sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and salt and mix with the paddle for one minute. Add the room temperature butter and continue beating for another minute. Gather the dough and place in the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm space to rise for 2 hours.

Dampen your hands a bit and gently press down on the dough. Spread it out to cover the bottom of the pan evenly. Arrange the fruit slices in a decorative way over the dough, leaving a 1/2” border all around the edges. Press the fruit down firmly. Sprinkle sugar over the entire surface and let the tart stand for 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake the tart for about 35 minutes or until the tart is lightly browned the center feels slightly firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack and remove from pan.

19 comments:

Victoria said...

As you know, I get consumed with apricot envy every time you post of these luscious-looking confections.

However, I will be able to make this one with prune plums and end up with a delicious result.

Right?

pastry studio said...

Hello, Victoria! I think prune plums would be fantastic. Ironically, I have a hard time finding those here. Fact is, I grew up near prune orchards in this region!!

xfallenmoon said...

this looks mouthwatering, i'll be giving it a try! <3

[ blog | twitter ]

Lucia Metcalf said...

what time are you serving that for tea? Let me google directions....

Carol said...

This is on my 'must try' list. Thank you so much!

Deb said...

Your tart is so enticing! I might try starting the dough in the evening and finishing it off for a lovely weekend breakfast, using whatever seasonal fruit is available. Delightful photos!

Krisztina Clifton said...

Oh this looks absolutely heavenly!!! I know we all think pumpkins and figs during the holidays. But I'm Hungarian, so I also bake with dried fruits, especially apricots, during the holidays. LOVE this recipe! Can't wait to try it out.

pastry studio said...

Hello and thanks so much, readers! I hope you have a change to try this tart.

Christine, I LOVE apricots in any form so I like your idea. I recommend plumping the dried with water or orange juice before placing in the dough, but you probably already knew that. I'm sure it will be delicious. Oh, and mmmmmmm, Hungarian pastry!!

Pauline said...

Adding yeast makes it looks so light and has a great crumb. The apricot adds a gorgeous orange hue, and must add a wonderful fruity flavor. I must try this next time I plan on making a lot of yeasted breads. Thanks!

Pauline said...

Oh, and a question: can this be made without a springform pan? Will a regular 8" cake pan suffice?

Barbara said...

I do love this tart! Apricots are my favorite and this yeasty tart is so unusual. Hope I can still find some in my market!

pastry studio said...

Howdy, Barbara! Love your enthusiasm for pastry. You are undoubtedly having great fun. I appreciate your voice in the pastry world.

Pauline, you don't necessarily need a springform pan, it just makes it easier to remove. It should be 9" - 9 1/2" though and if you have parchment, it will be easier to get it out of the pan. Hope it works out for you and you enjoy every morsel.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. The pie looks lovely. I have a question and would appreciate an explanation. In the picture pieces of apricots seem to be at the bottom of the pie, but in the description you mentioned only one layer of the dough and fruits on the top of it. Has your dough risen so much? Eliabel

pastry studio said...

Anonymous, yes, the dough does rise up but some of the apricots do show through.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, now it is clear. Eliabel

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

I can't believe I missed this last week! I am bookmarking this as we speak...this looks like such a great recipe that almost any fruit would work with. You have done another fabulous job of sharing your pastry genius with the world! Love it!!!!

Sharon T said...

Yum! I wish I could find decent apricots here, but they have to travel too far and are usually mushy and tasteless by the time they reach my market. I recently made a version of this with plums that was fantastic. My question is that my cake did not rise up and completely surround my plums. It looks as though yours did with the apricots. Perhaps I didn't push them down enough? At any rate it was delicious and yours looks amazing.

pastry studio said...

So happy to hear you enjoyed the tart with plums. That's one of my favorite substitutions, although pears are super delicious, too.

Once you deflate the dough from the first rise, you do press the fruit down firmly and then let the dough rise again.

thechefworks said...

Interesting and beautiful creampuff variation. Creampuffs are one our specialties at thechefworks. Nice photos also.

Marco