Friday, January 2, 2015

Applesauce Oatmeal Bread


Happy New Year!!

After a lush season of holiday meals, appetizers, drinks and desserts, it may be a good time to get back to basics.   And by basics, I mean a simple loaf bread with a bit of oatmeal, whole wheat flour, applesauce and spice. 

This recipe for Applesauce Oatmeal Bread comes from King Arthur Flour.  Although it may sound plain, it’s a delicious and wholesome taste that’s super easy and quick to produce.  It’s hearty without being heavy, moist without being oily.  You could also bake the batter into muffins for a breakfast or brunch treat. 

As we contemplate the New Year, let’s be sure to work some delicious meals into our everyday lives.  Although my focus here is pastry, I firmly believe in a healthy and balanced diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit and lots of water.  We must be good to ourselves!

Thanks for another year of fun pastry and desserts.  I truly appreciate all the lovely support of my work.  Here’s to a happy and healthy 2015 full of fresh opportunities. 

Bench notes:
- I did change the recipe up just a bit.  I used 1/2 cup granulated and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and King Arthur Whole Wheat in place of the White Whole Wheat.  I also used 1/4 cup oil + 2 oz butter, melted, for a bit of a flavor boost.
- I left out the walnuts but I’m thinking this would also be good with sunflower seeds.
- For muffins, check them at 20 – 22 minutes.  Makes 1 dozen.


Applesauce Oatmeal Bread
Makes 1 loaf

1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur All-Purpose Flour

1/2 cup (2 ounces) King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil

1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
2 large eggs
@ room temperature
3/4 cup (5 ounces) applesauce

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup (1 3/4 ounces) rolled oats

1/2 cup (2 ounces) chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line with parchment large enough to form an overhang along the length of both sides of the pan.

Sift together the flours, baking powder and baking soda, salt and spices.

In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and whisk just until blended.  Mix in the oats and walnuts. 
 Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the center of the bread, about 55 – 60 minutes.  Place on a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.   Gently lift the bread out of the pan using the parchment overhang to assist.  Remove the parchment and cool completely.

4 comments:

SallyBR said...

Nothing like starting the year on a good note!

of course, this loaf has my name written all over it, and the applesauce addition seems perfect to me

Happy 2015!

pastry studio said...

A VERY Happy New Year to you and your family, SallyBR! Here's to lots of delicious morsels in your life in 2015!

katie near chicago said...

Made on this snowy Sunday morning, using your suggested changes. Also added some raisins -- I let those soak in the applesauce while I measured out the dry ingred. to plump them up. Fresh nutmeg, fresh cinnamon, fresh allspice -- what a difference!

Thanks for a fab recipe.

pastry studio said...

katie, BRRRRRR!! So glad you tried raisins. I think they would be spectacular in this. I hesitated to add them to my bench notes because I know some people freak out at the mere mention but I love them! And your fresh ground spices must have brought a wonderful aroma.

Happy New Year!